Saturday, May 19, 2007

NJ doesn't care about basketball

I read an article a few weeks ago saying how empty the seats at the
home games for the Nets are and how those seats would not be
empty if the Nets were a NY team. I started to watch the games
played a little closer since reading that and I did notice all the
empty seats. I felt instant guilt - I live so close to the arena but
often can't afford the tickets to go.

Last night's Game 6, however, had the Continental Airlines Arena
packed with fans. Even Bon Jovi showed up. But the reason I say
New Jersey doesn't care about basketball is that watching the
game wind down with the Nets sealing a non-win and it was
obvious the traffic was more important for these fans than
supporting the Nets to the end, and not just supporting them
to the end but forgetting to stand up and applaud the greatest
of those players (Kidd, Carter, Jefferson and what the hell,
Moore) who will probably never play together again. Wish I was
there last night.

Call me a traitor, I don't care... but.. the Cavs have grown on
me and now that Jersey is out after giving it their best (I know
that can be argued but I'm not going there) I am happy to cheer
on LeBron and company - I think they might take it all the way.

No comments: