Sunday, May 20, 2007

Richard Serra @ MoMa June 3rd


I took the above photos of Richard Serra's work at Dia:Beacon in February 2007. One was taken inside the walls and the other looking out while the afternoon sun played with the shadows. It's hard to describe just how these free standing walls make you feel - it's one of those 'have to see it to believe it' situations. Before this year, I have never seen Serra's work up close and the experience of walking among, through and into these maze-like interactive sculptures left me feeling sort of small and mesmerized. I took the photos so I wouldn't forget.

Turns out I didn't have to try and remember too long. Serra's 40-year retrospective at MoMa is opening June 3rd. I'm excited at the chance to once again meander through the rusted walls, full of bends and turns...especially his new piece, a sort of "double S"/figure eight sculpture.

No comments: